Sunday, November 7, 2010

[recipe] Soup Sunday's

During the summer, I thought it would be fun to start a new tradition in our household (of TWO) and that was to make a soup on Sunday. I haven't really gotten the tradition off the floor so to speak as I have only done it about 4 times.

Never the less, since this is the First Sunday of the Month, I have no excuses so today I made soup for dinner. And that soup is Pumpkin Soup, I have to say it was pretty good and I gather I would be interested in making it again. I did make some changes to the recipe. I did not add any maple syrup and I added cayenne pepper to make it a little spicy. It did take A LOT of salt to bring it to the right seasoning.


If you are interested here is the recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens.

Ingredients

  • 2 medium carrots, sliced
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 15-oz. cans pumpkin
  • 1 32-oz. box reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half or light cream
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 Recipe Spiced Croutons, recipe below
  • Celery leaves (optional)

Directions

1. In large saucepan cook carrots in hot butter over medium heat for 2 minutes; add onion, celery, and garlic. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Stir in pumpkin, broth, half-and-half, water, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice. Heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
3. To serve, top soup with Spiced Croutons and celery leaves. Makes 8 side-dish servings.
Spiced Croutons:In bowl toss 3 cups 1-inch bread cubes with 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice. In large skillet cook bread cubes in 2 tablespoons hot butter 8 minutes or until toasted, turning occasionally.

Nutrition Facts

  • Servings Per Recipe 8 side-dish servings
  • Calories200,
  • Total Fat (g)9,
  • Saturated Fat (g)5,
  • Monounsaturated Fat (g)2,
  • Polyunsaturated Fat (g)1,
  • Cholesterol (mg)21,
  • Sodium (mg)590,
  • Carbohydrate (g)28,
  • Total Sugar (g)11,
  • Fiber (g)4,
  • Protein (g)5,
  • Vitamin C (DV%)12,
  • Calcium (DV%)9,
  • Iron (DV%)14,
  • Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Not only did I make soup today but Thomas and I went shopping at Ikea (love that place) and got a new coffee table. It is a large rectangle that is a dark wood color and it is perfect.

I also had a problem sleeping last night, I woke up at 2:00am or was it 3:00am - who knows with the time change - and could not fall back asleep. I tried laying with my eyes closed counting backwards from 100 which usually works, nope, then I tried reading, got through two chapters and only 2 left, nope so UP I was for the day and still going strong. I did have a 10 minute period during church this morning where it felt good to close my eyes but I am pretty sure I was awake the whole time. Hopefully I will get to sleep tonight, since I have to go back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley