Sunday, December 4, 2011

[recipe] Soup Sunday (Saturday) - Cream of Carrot Soup

Growing up my sister, mom and I loved the American Girls. Items for our American Girls were always on our Christmas wish lists and our Birthday lists. I loved that you could have a doll and read stories about her giving her a personality, background, and something to base your "adventures" off of. The other great thing is that when they first came out they were "Historical" dolls. Their stories took place in a specific decade and you got to learn about that historical time period as well as about the doll. We have many "collection" pieces as they have retired and changed the look of many of the dolls accessories over time. They now are a much bigger company and have a plethora of dolls and accessories. Now they not only have the Historical Dolls but they have Doll of the Year, and Just Like You Doll. They also have a "Bitty Baby" line which is for younger girls with a baby doll. Check out their website and maybe you or your daughter might be interested in these lovely dolls. They are a beautiful collection for any girl to have.

Anyways, the reason I give you this background is that back in the day (I can't believe I just said that) they had Cookbooks for the Historical Dolls. Of course we have them and they actually have VERY good recipes. Like the one I am going to share with you today. Cream of Carrot soup. I made it yesterday for my Holiday Tea and it was a HIT!! It comes from the Samantha cookbook. She is from 1904, well she was 8 years old in 1904, an orphaned girl living with her grandmother. My sister has the Samantha doll, well actually she (the doll) is living at my mom's house in the GIANT dollhouse my dad and I made one Summer when I was like 11 years old.

Here is the Recipe:

Cream of Carrot Soup

Ingredients:

2 c Chicken Broth
2 T Butter
2 T Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 lb Carrots - about 9 carrots (We have added a few more to give a more Carrot flavor)
1 c Half&Half

Directions:

1. Wash and peel carrots then cut into coins. In a dutch oven or soup pot add Carrots and Chicken Broth. Bring to a boil.

2. When carrots are tender, strain them and reserve the chicken broth. Return the carrots to the pot and add the butter, flour, salt and cayenne. With a potato smasher, smash the carrots and combine the other ingredients. When the carrots are to the sizes of you liking add back the reserved broth. (If it looks like "not enough soup" add more chicken broth. Bring to a boil and mix the ingredients well. After about 10 to 15 minutes take the pot off the burner and let cool for about 5 minutes. Add in the Half&Half while stirring.

3. Serve the soup in bowls with salad or rolls or Savory Butterhorns (recipe follows)


Butterhorns have been one of my favorite treats. When we had birthdays in elementary school we would bring treats for our class. I always requested that my mom bring Butterhorns. Usually they are served sweet with a white frosting, but I thought that for my tea I would try something savory. And these Butterhorns are MUCH better than the ones you get from the counter at Starbucks. Plus I love that my recipe card has my mom's handwriting.


Butterhorns

Ingredients:

2 c Flour
2 cubes margarine (NOT butter)
1 1/2 c Cottage Cheese

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375. Combine ingredients in a large bowl with a pastry cutter. Knead the dough until it holds together.

2. Separate into 3 equal parts and form each into a ball. Roll out each ball into a 10-12 inch round. Cut into 12 pizza slices. Roll into a crescent shape from the wide end to the skinny tip.

3. Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a singe layer in the middle of the oven for 30-40 minutes, until golden. Let cool on a wired rack.

*For sweet Butterhorns frost with a simple frosting: 2 c Powdered Sugar 1/2 cube butter and cream/milk to desired consistency.

*For savory Butterhorns I topped with my favorite cheese and let melt in the oven. Next time I would try placing the cheese inside and rolling it up with the butterhorn. Not sure if it would work but that is what I will be doing with my next attempt.

Hope you enjoy these recipes. Leave a comment and tell me what you think!

♥ Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley