Sunday, January 15, 2012

[recipe] Chicken Tortilla Soup




Today I made Chicken Tortilla Soup from the Everyday Food magazine by Martha Stewart. Due to my time commitment I didn't make the WHOLE recipe, meaning that I didn't make the Chicken Soup Base. It was a pretty good soup. I would be interested in trying a different Tortilla Soup next time to see the difference. Changes/Additions I made are in Orange font. We served our soup with rolls.

Ingredients

  • 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes with liquid (from a 15-ounce can)
  • 4 teaspoons chili powder
  • Chicken Soup Base (10 cups broth and 4 cups shredded chicken)
  • 3 boxes of Free Range Chicken Broth equals about 12 cups
  • 1 roasted chicken cut into pieces
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 3 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
  • 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced I used about 3 avocados
  • 2 ounces cotija cheese, crumbled (1/3 cup)/ Shredded Cheddar and Jack Cheese
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed
  • 1 can corn, rinsed
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1 scallion, thinly sliced (did not use)
  • Lime wedges, for serving (did not use)
  • Tappatio hot sauce, for serving
  • 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
  • Sour Cream, for serving

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes and liquid, and chili powder and cook until most of liquid is evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil; season with salt and pepper.
  2. Add beans, corn, and cayenne pepper. I also added the chicken at this point.
  3. Meanwhile, on a rimmed baking sheet, toss tortilla strips with 2 teaspoons oil. Bake until crisp and golden, 8 minutes, tossing halfway through.
  4. Divide chicken, avocado, cheese, cilantro, and scallion among six bowls; top with broth and tortilla strips. Serve with lime wedges and Sour Cream.

Enjoy!!

♥ Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley