Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Being the New Kid at School

just checking in....

I have been a bad blogger...my life has been taken over by the start of a new school year at a new school.  And then there was Labor Day.

It seems like I have been the new kid at school for the past 5 years...maybe because I actually have been.  I attended the same school my whole pre-college career so I knew just about everyone in my class since I was 3 years old.  I didn't really have to learn how to make new friends - we all already knew each other and then paid attention to the newbies if we thought they would fit in.  I had always wondered what it was like for the new kids.  I have learned the last 5 years how to be the new kid.  I don't like it and I can understand how hard it can be for kids.  I mean I am an adult...I don't really have that "need to fit in" but it sure would be nice to create a friendship with a collegue and then continue that for a second year or more. 

In case I haven't really mentioned it here on the blog or you are just starting to learn about me.  I am a teacher.  A "new-ER" teacher.  I have low seniority and my specialty is not so desireable.  Well I mean it is but it isn't really.  It is not an "acedemic" class and it is not tested in the WASL or MSP or HSPE or whatever you would like to call the state mandated achievement tests, so it seems to be the first to go when the budget gets tight - which means I get laid off.  I have been laid off 4 years in a row.  I am starting my 5th year of teaching at a new school in a new school district.  So I have to learn everything all over again and Pray to God that I get to stay here.  I teach Health and PE which are actually VERY important subjects to ones overall well-being but for some reason it gets put on the back burner and seems to be "disposable".

At my new school we have to  take a "survey" that figures out our "strengths" as an individual.  I learned that one of my strenghts is Adaptability.  I guess it makes sense given my profession and subject choice.  I learned that with my strengths I can be on the "balcony" which means tip top shape and at my best or in the "basement" which is the bad side or characteristics.  I like this terminology because now when I am off or irritated I can just say that I am working out of my basement. My co-workers understand it but now I have to teach Thomas this vocabulary so he too can understand me (like anyone actually can but lets not worry about that).  I feel as though lately (like that last two days or so) I have been living in my "basement" not necessarily in my Adaptibility strength but just in life in general. So that might have to do a little bit with why I have been absent from blogging.  I feel bad but sometimes that is just life.  I think I have just been missing my Mom.


Ok that was a little heavy...are you still with me?  Lets move on....shall we?

LABOR DAY weekend!!! glorious 3 days spent in Ellensburg Washington attending the Rodeo!!  We had a great time camping, yes I went camping AGAIN - I should get my head checked two times in less than a month I must be going crazy because this girl does NOT camp!!! haha.  

No pictures sorry.  But we sure were busy.  We went to the Rodeo, hung out at the trailer/campsite, visited with family, watched the parade, shopping in Yakima and ate food. Thomas got to go fishing with his dad and uncle and caught some nice sized trout but of course it is Catch and Release in the Yakima River so he didn't bring any back.  Oh yeah we brought our puppies with us and they were SO good!!  Everytime I go to the Rodeo I wish I rode my horses more...hopefully I will this year!

Thank you for sticking around and I love that I am getting new Followers!!! THANK YOU!!

What do you do when you are feeling low?  I would love to know.

♥ Ashley

2 comments:

  1. I read. Or bake (and eat) muffins. Or cry... my hubby is a good listener. I also snuggle my beastie, that's what she's there for. I'm sorry about the job stress, that is NOT fun. I'm glad you had a fun holiday! Hi from one of those new followers :)
    ~April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    Being the New Kid at School
    Fine points are available all around, many thanks. I anticipate reading even more.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley