Wednesday, September 26, 2012

[recipe] Stuffed Green Peppers


I think that I might have mentioned that Thomas's Aunt brought us a load of produce when we met up in Ellensburg over Labor Day Weekend.  She brought us tomatoes, peppers, rhubarb, zuchinni, and cucumbers.  I wanted to make sure I got some use out of the tomatoes before they went bad - since most of them were VERY ripe so I made a marinara sauce. And then we thought we would make some stuffed peppers to use those up as well.  I think it turned out pretty good for my first attempt.

For the marinara sauce:

I cut up a bunch of tomatoes - maybe like 80 or something (they were all different sizes from cherry to large)
2 Tablespoons of tomato paste
1 large onion
6 cloves of garlic
3 teaspoons each of dried parsley, dried basil, and dried oregano
1/4 cup of fresh basil chopped
plenty of salt and pepper

Saute the onions and garlic in some olive oil then add in the tomatoes and let stew for about 30 minutes on medium heat.  Then add in the rest of the ingredients and simmer for another 45 minutes or so.  I used a hand blender to puree it so it had a velvety consistency but its your choice.  And that's about it, enjoy it over pasta, in a lasagna, or with stuffed peppers.  YUM

For the peppers: (serves two)

1/2 pound of ground turkey
1/2 cup of cooked white rice
1/2 an onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes
and similar herbs used in the sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onions and garlic, add in the meat and brown.  Once the meat is browned combine it with the other ingredients and about 1 cup of the marinara sauce.  Cut off the top of the peppers and clean out.  stuff with the meat mixture place in a baking dish and cover with the marinara sauce.  Bake in the oven at 375 for about 45-55 minutes.  Oh and you can add some cheese if you like!

Linked to Tasty Tuesdays


Enjoy!!

♥ Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley