Saturday, August 31, 2013

New Purpose to Garden



Right now this little girl gets her nutrition from a bottle. But I understand some time in the next few months she's gonna start eating "people" food, otherwise known as solids (well puréed actually).

Artichoke, Swiss Chard, Kale, and Broccoli

As I have shared before: we grow our food. Not all the food we need (but wouldn't that be cool?) but enough to get us through and satisfy our ability to provide for ourselves. 

Tomatoes and Cucumber

This year our garden took on a WHOLE NEW meaning, Ellie. I thought I wanted to do cloth diapers  but the thought of laundering poop is a little to much for my OCD self.  So the next best thing I can do for my little one is grow her first foods!  Organically. This venture might prove to be a little overwhelming but I am going to at least give it a try. 

Pumpkins and Sunflowers


Beans

I have already started prepping her food. I have harvested, blanched and frozen many items for her. Once Ellie gets to the point where she can start on puréed solids I am going to steam the frozen veggies, purée, and then freeze in ice cube trays to portion it out. Once the purées get frozen in the cubes I will then place them into a freezer bag and keep in the freezer until she is ready to eat. Then I guess I'll heat up a cube and let her try it out!

Peppers, Pumpkins, and Swiss Chard


Tomatoes 

I hope you have enjoyed the pics if my garden. I didn't get photos throughout the season. Just what it looks like today. We have planted: peas, lettuce, kale, cabbage, broccoli, artichoke, Swiss chard, beans, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, and peppers. 

Zucchini 

Gardening takes time and some effort but I have found it pretty easy. You just need a sunny area, dirt, water and veggie seeds or starts. Pretty simple, you just water daily, fertilize once if you want and then harvest and enjoy the "fruits" of your labor!!

-Ashley 

2 comments:

  1. I think it is so awesome you do this! I wish I could do this for my daughter, I just would not know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you. It is so rewarding knowing hat is going to be going into Ellie's diet!!

    It's actually quite simple. You can do a lot of gardening in pots if you don't have the space for a patch. Selecting the seeds or plant you want can be a bit of trial and error, I recommend getting things that you know you like. There are lots of different varieties but in general it all tastes good!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley