Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Acronyms


If there is one thing I have learned about Infertility (and pregnancies for that matter) is that there are a heck of a lot of acronyms floating around.  Some of them are fairly easy to figure out once you have learned some of the lingo about the disease of Infertility but others I'm still trying to figure out what they mean after 6 years of this battle.

I came across this page which took the mystery away.  I thought I would share some of my more commonly used ones and ones that I have heard/read about as well.

2WW  - the 2 Week Wait has got to be one of the longest times in an Infertile's life.  Its the 2 weeks after ovulation that you have to wait before you can take a pregnancy test.

AF - Aunt Flo or otherwise known as your period or aka the Devil of Infertility

BBT - Basal Body Temperature, this is what you test for every morning to see if your are ovulating.  It takes a while to get into the habit and to understand your readings but many women have found it to be helpful.

BFN - Big Fat Negative on those pregnancy tests...I have seen way too many of those (over 30)

BFP - Big Fat Positive on those pregnancy tests .... I have seen a few of these but there has never been a positive outcome - miscarriage.

CD - Cycle Day, on average a woman's cycle is 28 days referencing the CD will help you to pinpoint where you are in your cycle.

DH - Dear Husband

DPO - Days Post Ovulation basically how many days after ovulation you are before a BFP or BFN

HCG - Human Chorionic Gonadotropin a drug used to cause ovulation but also present during pregnancy

HSG - Hysterosalpingogram a procedure where dye is injected into the uterus to see its flow into the fallopian tubes via xray

IF - the disease of Infertility

OV - Ovulation

PI - Primary Infertility are those who suffer from Infertility and have no children

SI - Secondary Infertility are those who suffer from Infertility after they have already conceived and birthed a child(ren)

TTC - Trying To Conceive 

So hopefully this will help you to understand a little bit more of our language when talking about the disease of Infertility.

♥ Ashley

1 comment:

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley