Thursday, March 24, 2016

NapTime Projects - the White Door edition

Y'all I miss blogging. Like I miss writing in this little space of mine, but lately I've been lacking in inspiration. One thing that I haven't been slacking on is making more improvements in our home. 



Y'all I'm doing it again!! I'm utilizing Nap Time to complete some projects around the house!!  Last time I checked in with this I made a much needed change with the interior of our front door by painting the awful stomach lining color it was (previous owners) to white!!  Now that Ellie and I are at home - I'm not currently nannying right now - for naps I have my hands full. Which also might have something to do with my lack of posting...too many home projects. 

On Monday while we were driving home from church I decided that I would just paint the door jams white so they would match the doors. 

But first lets go down memory lane and see what all of our doors looked like before they got replaced. Warning 1989 at its finest!


Orangey-brown wood trim and faux wood hollow core doors.  I have to admit that this is not an old picture....we still have yet to replace our closet door in our master....

About a year after we moved into our house we had to replace two of our doors (the bathroom doors) because our Husky locked herself in the bathrooms and I had to kick down the doors to get them opened.  And then another year went by and replaced the bedroom doors too.  So for about 4 years this is what our hallway and doors have looked like:


A white door with orangey-brown wood trim.  Y'all it seriously gave me a headache every time I looked at them.  I loved the white of the door but was so disgusted with the wood trim - I wanted to move because of this!!!  But then I started painting.  I painted the door frame of Ellie's door in her room, the bathrooms and most recently the nursery.  I loved the look of the inside of the room that I knew if I could just paint the hallway side I might be a little happier in this place we call home!

So like I mentioned, on Monday I decided to do something about it.  I couldn't wait for Ellie's nap to begin so that I could get started on my project.  We have a total of 9 doors in our hallway, kitchen, living space that I needed to paint.  Each door frame will take at least 2 coats and I only have about a 2 hour window to get this painted and I've learned giving about 24 hours of drying time between coats is the best. 

I broke the project up into groups of 3.  And I really didn't do any prep-work.  I just wiped down the frames and then got to work.  I used the same white paint (Valspar Crisp Linen from Lowes) that we have used elsewhere in the house.  I put some old paper grocery bags on the floor to protect from paint spills and then I just started painting.  The first coat looks a little rough but once you get the second coat on (after waiting 24 hours to dry) it looks fantastic.

So here is an after of one of the doors: the nursery.


And then the hallway all completed!!  Our hallway is super dark when the doors are closed and it was even worse with all the dark woodwork...now its much brighter (can't wait to get the baseboard painted!!) and I am not so embarrassed!!! haha


Another view of the hallway, you can see I still have some paper bags down on the floor...


and one more with a little photo bomber (love you Cooper!!)


Yesterday I tackled the two biggest doors: our chalkboard pantry and the slider door.  Here they are with just one coat - can it be naptime yet????


I did have to tape around the slider because I knew my cutting skills are not that great.  I actually did the taping in the morning yesterday so that as soon as I put Ellie down for a nap I could get right to work!!


I still have one more door to start, the front door.  I am not sure why I didn't just paint the frame while I was painting the door last year but I cannot wait to get started on this today!!  I just have 4 coats of paint left.  One on the pantry and slider and then two on the front door.  My NapTime painting project has taken all week but it has been well worth it!!


Seriously y'all even with just one coat it looks so much better!!! I have no idea what was keeping me from doing this 8 years ago, except that maybe all the carpet was a little daunting.  Now that we have replaced the floors I seriously am falling in love with this house and maybe we won't have to move for a while!!  I know it's silly because it is just such a small thing but painting the woodwork white has totally changed the way I view and love my home!!

What do you like to get done during NapTime??? I'm thinking next week I deserve a nap!!!

♥ Ashley

linking up here



4 comments:

  1. The white woodwork makes SUCH a huge difference. It looks amazing girl, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paint is my favorite thing ever! It can be time consuming but it is such a huge transformation for minimal money and effort. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the white doors!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great decision. I have always found that white doors look the best. When I moved into my most recent home, all of the doors were this off white color. I thought I would be fine with it and then I decorated the place and it just made that off white stand out. For some reason, white's the way to go.

    Giovanni @ Coastal Contract Hardware

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley